A question came through our twitter feed asking what is the best way to import many XYZ files into Oasis montaj. The answer: Select all the XYZ files in Windows Explorer, drag them and drop them into a new, empty Geosoft database.
There are several useful drag-and-drop shortcuts in Oasis montaj and Target, but because of their nature (they are drag-and-drop methods after all!), they can often be overlooked when they are most helpful.
Drag-and-drop can be used to:
Simplify multi-file operations:
- Drag-and-drop a Geosoft map, grid, or database from Windows Explorer into Oasis montaj. This is a quick way to add files to a new Project.
- Drag-and-drop a map, grid, or database from the Project Explorer to the Oasis montaj desktop. This is a quick way to open these file types.
- Drag-and-drop XYZ files to a new database.
Move map groups from one map to another:
- Drag-and-drop a grid from the Project Explorer to an open map. (This is the same as Display Single grid, and if the auto-shading option is on, the dropped grid will be shaded.)
- Drag-and-drop a single map group from one map to another map. (This is the same as right-click option to Copy and Paste Georeferenced.)
Transfer map layers from 2D maps to 3D views:
- In Oasis montaj 7.5 you can drag and drop map layers from Target section maps to the 3D Viewer and the layers will appear georeferenced in 3D space.
You can see some of these drag-and-drop methods in action in this video.